Thursday, April 3, 2008

4s Experiment

Have I actually mentioned how fucking terrified I am by our proposed production schedule? Maybe it's been obvious. I keep looking for compromises in the animation that will get it done faster. The Flash thing didn't work out, not only because I hate how it looked, but mostly because it won't really save any time. I considered dropping the shadow matte process, but unfortunately it's just not a Ruby Rocket Adventure without it. Then I starting playing with the frame rate. I suggested 24fps instead of 30. That bought us a 20% savings, but now I'm thinking we can take that farther.

So here's my latest suggestion...animating on 4s! Here's what it looks like:

And for a larger version you can actually see: http://www.niemannworks.com/rubyrocket/tests/4s.mov

This might be a compromise I can live with, and it buys us a huge savings. I definitely like twos better, but not TWICE AS MUCH!

This scene is 30fps on 4s, coming out to 7.5 cells per second (some seconds will have 7 frames, some will have 8). We could consider going to 24fps on 4s, getting us down to 6 cells per second, but that might be taking the animation quality down a bit too far for my taste. Plus at 24fps, I was anticipating some problems with digital formats, which prefer 30fps (actually 29.97, that's a whole 'nother puzzle to solve later) So 30fps might save some headaches.

It would also be possible to fill in the gaps later. When a deadline is tight, I like to make the project look "finished" as soon as possible. You can't spend the whole schedule making scene one look perfect and neglect the rest. So you get everything painted, you get everything moving that has to be, and then you sweeten the animation as time allows. This 4s notion works really well for that. We can get episodes looking complete, and then continue sweetening based on priorities. And the way After Effects works into our pipeline, new animation should drop right in without any additional work needing to be done on the comps, except to re-render.

I'm starting to like this plan!

Still fucking terrified!

No comments: