Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sex in the Rubiverse

On the one hand, I'm really sick of every show having a "Will they? Won't they?" relationship between the two leads. I'd like to have something a little more original or unexpected.

But that means they're having sex, right? Because if they're not having sex, then naturally everyone's asking the question, will they. It could be bold to just go and do it right off. Demolish the cliche by appearing to set up a seasons-long question, and then as soon as people recognize the set up - they doink.

One show that I thought broke the stereotype nicely in the opposite way was The X-files. Chris Carter, making no secret about it, said early on and repeatedly that Mulder and Scully would never have sex. But the fans always speculated anyway, so the will they/won't they tension was part of the show without the creators having to be distracted by it or even address it at all. I'm not saying that's right for Ruby and Rick, I just admire how that show handled it.

A broader question might be, does our show depict sex with a 1930s sensibility, or is it set in the 1930s but with a 21st century attitude toward sex? That is to say, nothing goes on now that didn't go on then, even if it wasn't depicted in the movies of the time. Sometimes people just want to "get some" and I'm sure that was just as true then. Is Ruby's the type to unashamedly have some fun casual sex? Is she our bridge from Ingrid Berman in Casablanca to those lunatics from Sex and the City?

Is all that well beyond the scope of anything we need to deal with right now?

I should be sleeping, but I altered Rick's Butt picture instead:
I think I'd like it to be a little more clear that he's holding something over his privates. I think it's somehow sexier if we can tell he's covered from Ruby's point of view.

No comments: