Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ruby Rocket Model


A new turn around drawing of Ruby Rocket. What do you think? I'm trying to keep her with realistic human proportions. About 7 heads high rather than the typical cartoon/comic book 9 or even 10. I tried not to make her too muscular or masculine, though I did want her to look like she enjoys a burger and fries on occasion. I didn't work too hard on her face for this turn around, though I do think here she resembles the "Ruby we like" from the short. She maybe looks a little bit young in the face to me, but close ups will add a few years of hard living.

Bitch bitch bitch bitching bitch follows. Feel free to skip this part:
I've recently upgraded to CS3 which I've kind of been waiting for to dive into Photoshop. I've used Photoshop a lot for manipulating images, but I can't think of a time I've ever actually created anything from scratch using it. This is the first, and I'm finding it a HUGE pain in the ass! I'm finding the drawing tools totally annoying and trying to do a turn around with out decent onion skinning or frame stepping features is a nightmare! Of course you can affect the transparency of your layers, but you have to type in the percentage every time, so you can't flip back and forth around the drawings very easily. Things were actually easier once I spread them out instead of drawing the figures in the same position the way you would on animation paper, but then I was constantly drawing on the wrong layer. You're working on one figure, referencing the ones on either side, and then of course you notice little things on the other drawings you want to fix. I couldn't keep my wits about me well enough to change layers every time, so my file's a total mess!

Of course I'm sure there are certainly a million tips and tricks for doing what I want, and naturally I'm going to be uncomfortable using an unfamiliar program that's as complex as Photoshop. I'm frustrated today, but I'm sticking with it.

No comments: