Friday, February 29, 2008

Sex and Model Sheets

Okay, so I've got two entries to catch up on.

First - the sex "will they or won't they" issue. I agree that this issue is pretty "done." I also think tension is what makes a story engaging, and sexual tension is riveting to most people.

I also agree that the way our story can be different is that we know, and the audience will know, and the characters know - they already did. And we know they most likely will again. So the question, and the tension, in my mind is - when will they? And why will they? And how will it start this time? And what will happen when it's done? That kind of tension. Which is cool to me. It's deeper and more dynamic. 

Because the more important question to me is - which one will change? They can't just be together because they are so different. Rick can't accept her totally because she is so not what he - and the world at the time - think a woman "should" be. So, will she eventually settle down? Will he eventually change his rigid definition of what's right? Will they meet in the middle? I don't know! And in the meantime, they will struggle with their feelings and their different views of the world, and with doing it and not doing it depending on the day and the circumstances and their emotional state. That's engaging - to me, anyway.

Wow. That was a tirade. Felt good though. And I think that makes sense to me. Does it make sense to you?

Now, the model sheet. Yay! A model sheet! How nice and exciting to see!

There's stuff I love about it, and stuff I'm going to knit-pick about it.

I love all the faces except the full front view. It's great to see her face take shape from all of those angles.

The front view has the thing that bothers me about some of the shots in the short. But it's driving me crazy that I can't pinpoint what it is exactly that I don't like! Are the eyes too far apart? Is the jaw just a bit too square, too manly? It's so damn close, but there's something too hard about it.

As for her body, it's the same thing. A little too manly. I'd like to see more curves for sure. I'd like her shoulders to be less broad, and her hips and butt rounder. I want her to be feminine and soft to an extreme - to contrast her more masculine personality traits.

Make sense?


No comments: